My thanks to Lyn Douglas in Australia for telling me about the new regulations announced today around the live export of sheep.
The key points are listed below.
- There will be no ban on the live sheep trade from Australia in the Middle Eastern summer.
- The number of sheep transported per vessel in the summer months will be reduced by 28 per cent.
- Independent observers will travel on all ships carrying cattle or sheep.
- Any company that breaks the rules could face a fine of A$2.1 million.
- The directors of any such company could face a jail term of up to ten years.
RSPCA Australia remains concerned.
Here is the link to the UK Reuters report.
Copyright Georgie Knaggs & The Phraser 2018